Dog Day Afternoon

July 10th, 2017 , 18:36

Had a bit of a lie in, got up and packed for the next day (as we were planning an earlish start) and pulled together stuff for the day. Went to pick up our friend, whose mother had contacted Stampede Customer Services to ask where Joe could find his Reuben Dog! So to get to transport into Calgary we had to drive to the station! CTrain – and all the messages were about Stampede, funny that. The best one was ‘Don’t let your little cow pokes wander! Hold their hand!’ Had to change trains and they announced to change a station earlier than we thought, so we followed directions. Turned out the driver was correct as the next station was packed!

Off into the Stampede grounds and straight to Wiggle Chips (no really!) for Joe’s Reuben Dog – he said it was ok, but didn’t notice anything special. Then again, he’s never had a corn dog before! I took a bite and the sausage in it was definitely more like pastrami.  But yeah, deep fried batter wrapped around a pastrami flavoured hot dog, with cheese but no sauerkraut. I had perogies which were really nice. We did not have the Bear Balls, not even the maple syrup ones (I think they were doughnuts). Joe still says the best buy was the 2 dollar elk stick – a dried sausage of elk, a large dried sausage of elk.

Once we’d had lunch we headed for the arts and crafts area which was a weird mixture of stalls selling things and really lovely art work. Sort of Ideal Home Show meets C&W art show, along with a children’s area with a reptile show (I got to see a giant frog)!  There were also a lot of crafts on display from cake decorating to quilting to wood working. Joe took lots of photos!

We then headed for the Tipi Village where we ended up spending most of the afternoon! The one hour dance demonstration lasted much longer, but we really didn’t mind as we were enjoying watching it all. The introduction was how the Tipi Village came to be at Stampede and part of this was ‘playing Indian’. There were many types of dances and everyone, from tiny child to adult were dancing. They would do large ‘inter-tribal’ dances where everyone joined in each doing their own dance, then split out into different ages and/or dance. When they did the tiny little children the MC introduced his grandson who was 1, then pointed out a little girl and said he thought she was 1 at which she nodded emphatically. She wanted to get on with the dance – she was dancing all the time and really well! As the dancing was ending the rain started, so we ducked into their art area out of the rain.

We then went hunting the dog bowl – kept asking for directions and getting different replies! But finally found it just as a show was starting so we grabbed seats and watched. Really enjoyed it – from agility races, to dancing and skipping rope, to long jumps into water.

Then dinner. Joe had eyed a place doing steak and prime rib sandwiches so he headed there, our friend wanted perogies. I didn’t know what I wanted so I wandered around; I saw Joe’s sandwich which looked good, but I wanted the steak rather than prime rib. Now his sandwich was pretty much pulled prime rib on a bun – large but manageable. So I order my steak sandwich and get sent round to the grill where he asked me how I wanted my steak, then pulled out this huge steak and bunged it on the grill. Ok, he’s sure to cut it up right? Nope, someone else’s sandwich was done before mine and I watched in growing horror as he opened the bun, dropped this huge steak onto it, put a huge stack of cooked onion and another huge stack of mushrooms on top of that,  then pushed the container sort of closed (it wouldn’t go all the way) and handed it over. I got to where friend and Joe had found a place to sit holding this huge thing and friend took one look and said ‘half a cow sandwich’ which stuck.

So we head for the stadium and the chuck wagon races and evening show with me holding this huge sandwich (mind you, it was just the steak and toppings that were huge – they were plonked on a normal hamburger sized bun!) Get in and I head for the seats to try to eat this thing before everything starts (and I have to stand for the national anthem!) Managed it, just, and it was very good.

The evening theme was Home Grown Heroes with people from the military, rescue services, police, etc. And during the anthem a helicopter flew over with a large Canadian flag underneath. Then chuck wagon races! Which were fun to watch. We were randomly picking wagons to cheer on and having fun; between races they’d bring out a local heroes and interview them which was interesting. The first two were firefighters who did their interview, then went to audience dancing – only the audience thought they should dance, so they waltzed together. That was probably the most memorable interview!

Then came the end of race 6 and the rain. The sky had been getting darker and darker, our friend headed in to get a rain poncho, and the skies opened so Joe and I followed. Along with everyone else. Thunder, lighting (really nifty lighting) and torrential downpour, I think there was even hail. So everyone just stood in the lobby and waited it out – though I think a few left. The rest of the races were cancelled (there were supposed to be 9) and the evening show was delayed for about an hour and a half! But they did the show – we all headed back out to persistent rain, but not bucketing it down, and waited out the delay as they tried to sort out the stage. The show was good, but they cut about three things out due to the delays and we only sort of saw the fireworks as we headed out at the end. There was one act where they played fountains on the stage – because there simply wasn’t already enough water there I said. Then the MC came on and said the same thing, it was the obvious joke to make!

Back to the hotel quite late – which is why we packed in the morning!

Frog Blog

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL

Leave a Comment